One of our instructors recently participated in the Sacred Heart Prep Senior Fashion Show in Atherton. The fashion show helps raise money for the senior class at Sacred Heart Prep. Shopping for clothing is fun and clothing also can inspire price math problems! Shopping is filled with sales and discounts which all involve math. The clothes were all provided by Gitane of downtown Menlo Park. Gitane is located on Santa Cruz Avenue and you can check out more of their clothing at http://gitanestyle.wordpress.com/
- If the shirt costs $80, the pants cost $180, and the jacket costs $150, how much does the whole outfit cost?
- If the shirt is 20% off how much does the shirt alone cost?
- If the jacket gets marked down 10% how much does the jacket cost?
- If you bought the whole outfit together during a special sale, the store will give you 25% off, how much does is the entire outfit during a special sale?
- Which is a better deal? Receiving a $20 coupon for the pants or 10% off the pants?
Number tricks and Math
Although some children might be reluctant to believe it, math can be fun! There are many number tricks that seem unusual, but are actually fun and surprising! For example, you can figure out someone’s exact age by asking them to choose a number between 2 and 9. Here are the steps!
- Choose a number between 2 and 9
- Multiply your number by 2
- Add 5 to your number
- Multiply the number by 50
- If you had your birthday already this year, add 1,759 to your total. If you haven’t have your birthday this year, add 1,762
- Subtract the year you were born from the number ( you should now have a three digit number)
- The first digit should be the number you chose, and the next two digits should be your age
There are many other fun tricks like this. Next time you want to trick you child, try this fun math trick! This guy teaches how to do this trick with playing cards: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhH8WMbxPEU.
You can also do more fun tricks with your child through this website http://www.cybraryman.com/numbertricks.html.
These fun number games are not only fun and engaging, but also a good way for your child to practice his or her math skills
Learn more about Math Tutoring and Mathnasium of Palo Alto-Menlo Park (and find more fun problems) — http://www.mathnasium.com/paloalto-menlopark