With the beginning of the new school year in Palo Alto, stores all over Palo Alto are stocked up on supplies for students! They have pencils, backpacks, notebooks, and all kinds of other supplies to help you prepare for the upcoming year in Palo Alto. Here are some fun math problems to do after a fun day of shopping!
1. If a pencil costs $0.50 and an eraser costs $0.30, how much does 3 pencils and 2 erasers cost?
2. If Joe spent $15.75 on a backpack and $3.50 on a pack of pencils, how much did he spend in all?
3. There are 25 students in Ms. Smith’s class at Palo Alto High School. She requires each of them to buy 10 pencils. Pencils cost 12 cents each at the local Palo Alto safeway, and the local tax is 8 percent. How much do the students in Ms. Smith’s class spend on pencils?
4. 11th graders at Palo Alto High School do 26% more homework than 10th graders. If the average 10th grader uses up 167 sheets of paper a month, how many sheets of paper will an 11th grader use.
5. The local Palo Alto Safeway is hosting a back-to-school sale, with 30% off all items. If Sammy purchases 3 erasers for 50 cents each, how much does he save during the sale?
Happy shopping! For more fun ways to learn math, visit The Mathnasium of Palo Alto-Menlo Park.